Monday, February 23, 2009



Ed and I in front of the Airstream. Still looking for names for the trailer, people! It's been raining for the past couple days so we've been stuck inside, except for the few minutes that we were able to step outside and take this photo. The ground is saturated and there are puddles all over the place. I've been teaching Ed to play Gin Rummy and he and I have been battling it out. I was taught to play Gin by my Uncle Jim on a rainy day, just like this one.

Lots of plans in the works, e.g. we need to purchase our apple trees soon. I'm thinking Pink Lady, Fuji and Granny Smith. We need more than one apple variety for cross-pollination. At least for some types of apples. They take a few seasons to produce, 4-5 years. I'm still learning about all of this.

I have been corresponding with an old friend who is living off 200 acres in Idaho, 1800's style. Lots of good advice, but it is making us question how much of a commitment to the farm and the self-sustaining lifestyle we want to make. Once you get off the grid can you ever get back on it?

8 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to live in a sliver bullet!! The picture is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Well maybe you can have this one when we are done with it. But the realities of living in an Airstream are differnt than the romantic imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might add "Honeycrisp" to your list of apple tree varieties. They are very popular here in the midwest. Sweet, crisp and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha - stumbled on your site & I can relate! My husband & I left "tony" Santa Barbara last October & live in a "postage stamp" size (400 sq. foot) place in Haiku, Maui.

    We've planted our "depression" garden & continue to be creative & economical. I am marginally employed & my husband is creating his own "work" making concrete light pedastals, planters - etc.

    Our space is unique - and beautiful - we are poor but happy. At least it's warm here!

    Best wishes to you two! Anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always dreamed of living and working on a farm. I grew up in the country. I also love camping. Your current digs look better to me than your previous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there - since you seem to have modern sensibilities from your previous digs, thought I would post a funky rehabbed airstream link: http://mocoloco.com/archives/005418.php
    to see the possibilities....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do you go to the bathroom and wash laundry in the airstream?

    ReplyDelete